Saturday, March 24, 2012

Shamrock 5K


Things have been quiet on the Allipalooza blog, but I can assure that life has been anything but.    I came home from Colorado on March 8th and three days later completed my next Allipalooza activity – a 5k as my Team FD challenge.

I was very worried about the 5K.   I was only 8 weeks out of knee surgery and still in need of another surgery on my other knee.   I had been walking in Colorado and I figured that if I can train at high elevation walking at sea level would be easier, but I was still nervous.

Wearing my Team FD gear and my hat from camp.
The day after I got home I picked up my race packet and I was super psyched.   I have been planning on walking a 5K since I got home from camp and it was finally happening.

At the finish line with Aimee
My friend Aimee wore my race jersey and walked with me. She was a great companion and I could not have done this without her support. I dedicated the 5K to my fellow FD camper Sage who passed away in November, my father and in celebration of where my experience at First Descents has brought me. 



Below is an update I wrote for my fundraising page after the walk.

UPDATE:  On March 11, 2012 I finally completed my 5K with a great time of just over 1 hour.  It was a better time that I could have dreamed of.   I find it no coincidence that it comes exactly 8 months from my first day on the water at First Descents.   That day was life changing for me, just like today.   In Montana I had to overcome my fears, today I overcame my body.   A lot has happened since that first day at camp.  I have reclaimed my life, but it has been a roller coaster.   For every milestone of achievement there has been a challenge, but that is what life is all about.  
I was not sure I was going to be able to complete my 5K, but that is not what Team FD is for, it is about taking a risk and challenging yourself.  If you would like to support First Descents and the wonderful work they do, please make a donation at http://teamfd.firstdescents.org/2011/fd/Lolli/Alli/ and help another young adult have a great experience at camp.  

Having fun with shadows on the way to the start
We had to walk about a mile just to the starting point so by the time we completed the walk and got back to the car, I walked over 4.5 miles.   Pretty good for someone who was afraid I could not complete the 5k. It did not matter that I was at the tail end of the walkers, it only mattered that I tried. 

 


We were almost lapped by the parade and had to sprint to the finish line, but that added to the excitement of the day.   My final time was 61:42. Average mile time: 19:52. I beat my previous time without even trying.



Needless to say my knees were not particularly happy with me that night nor the next day, but I was still flying high on my achievement.   I had my follow-up appointment with my Orthopedic Surgeon the next day and he determined I need to have surgery on my left knee.   I have that scheduled for April 19th, right after I get back from Allipalooza – Southwest .


All smiles at the end of the walk
More to come in the next update on the plans for Allipalooza Southwest.   Thanks for all your support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment