Friday, June 8, 2012

The Road to Allipalooza


Two years ago before the idea of Allipalooza was even conceived I spent most of my time in my laz-y-boy chair waiting to die.   My friend Tracy and fellow ovarian young adult survivor told me about a canoe trip in Colorado that she was putting together for single cancer survivors.  I was so tempted to go on this trip, but kept saying how impossible it was due to my current medical condition.  Tracy really felt that I needed to attend this trip and kept talking to me about it.   Thankfully I agreed.   I learned so much about myself on that trip.  Most importantly that my health does not have to stop me from doing things I love   I also learned that you can feel like shit and still have fun.  Here is link to a blog I wrote when I returned.  http://www.redhheadedbaldchic.blogspot.com/2010/09/lessons-learned-from-colorado.html

2nd Annual Solo Survivors Trip - August 2011
I left that trip energized to find that something missing in my life - that drive to want to live again and follow my dreams.  I have become close friends with several people I met on the trip that are constant sources of support for me.  That first canoe trip in 2010 was the impetus of many changes in my life and outlook and was a predecessor to Allipalooza. 

Floating down the river - August 2011

This year Solo Survivors is hosting a 3 day rafting & camping trip on the Colorado River August 18-20.  Early bird registration is $75 until 7/6/12 and then cost is $100  http://raftingrejuvenation.eventbrite.com/

I challenge all my single friends that are cancer survivors to start their own "palooza" by going on this trip.

If you are not single or unable to attend please consider supporting Solo Survivors by spreading the word about the trip to all single survivors.  The participant cost of the trip is just a fraction of the total cost that Solo Survivors pays to host this trip. Will you consider donating $20 to help a single survivor have the opportunity to have an experience like my own?     http://www.crowdrise.com/solo-survivors/

No comments:

Post a Comment