Thursday, April 12, 2012

Recap of Allipalooza-Southwest

(written on 4/11)
I am sitting on a plane headed back to Maryland and to the real world. In the two weeks I have been gone I have experienced life in a new way.

Not only was I able to be a part of an incredible event for young adults affected by cancer but I was able to cross off a few places I've wanted to see and test myself on traveling alone for almost ten days.

This trip was incredible - a once in a lifetime opportunity. To be honest I was a little nervous about striking out on my own driving around some remote place in the country. Compounded with concerns from well meaning people I left Vegas a bit gun shy.

The first night that I camped in Zion I crawled in the van at sunset, locked all the doors and stayed inside until the sun rose again. I was very lucky to have a gorgeous view of Watchmen Peak from my bed and didn't feel as though I was missing out on anything.

It wasn't until two nights later when staying in Bryce that I was outside when it was dark and realized the starry sky and full moon I had missed out on the previous nights.

This brings to mind a question about how often we miss out on life because we are afraid to take risks. Too many times in my life, especially the last few years I let my fear overcome my desire for something. Not everything went as planned during my trip and my wallet is a little lighter after needing the services of a locksmith (a whole different story), but I am no worse for wear. In fact, I have some great adventures to tell about and memories that I will remember forever and which will shape my future self.

Another thing I realized on my trip is that we are often too busy looking forward or striving for the next accomplishment that we do not give ourselves time to enjoy the here and now. Originally my itinerary included several more destinations. I realized I was not giving myself time to enjoy each location. I found myself in the first few days thinking about what I will see in the other places instead of allowing myself revel in the beauty of where I was. Conversely, it was hard not to compare each new place with the previous sites. Why do we do that? I am happy to say that I was able to overcome these urges and enjoy each day for what and where it was.

I met with a friend last night to share stories about my trip and we talked about how most people do not give themselves time to take trips like this. I have found that society as a whole is always looking toward the next goal and is rarely happy with what we have. If a job is not likely to lead you to a better position it is a waste if time. If you are single you should be looking for a potential spouse to settle down. I find that sentence to have a key word in it -settle. Why should we all settle for anything less than our dreams? At the same point however we can't let dreaming outshine the life we already have.

Several people have told me that I can be selfish, that I often put my own happiness ahead of others. I would challenge that. I'm not sacrificing anyone else's happiness for my own, but that by making my own dreams come true and ensuring my own happiness allows me to give more of myself to others.

I think we too often live the life we think we should live and not the one we want. This too often leads to resentment and unhappiness.

Tomorrow I have to return to the real world of chores, work and paying the bills. Basically life's responsibilities that existed before my trip will have piled up, but that is ok. I had ten glorious days of following my own whims and desires that will fill my dreamer's spirit over the next several months. I guess one message I want to share with each of you is we should always take time to follow our dreams. It will challenge ourselves and not only give us possibly the best experiences of our lives but give us memories to get through life's mundane moments.

In the next week I have several doctor's appointments and knee surgery. I will be on bed rest for several days and will need another round of rehab. Not only will I have this adventure to reflect on but the next part of Allipalooza to look forward to and plan.

As some of you have seen I have a name and a logo for my adventures. My tagline for Allipalooza is exploration, challenge and adventure to the core of discovery. What is your logo and slogan for your life? If you could have your own adventure what would it be? Tomorrow is not guarantee. Take advantage of today and create your own "palooza".

Peace, love and hope

Alli

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Alli. We all need a reminder of the meaning and joy that comes from following our dreams. Thanks for bringing that home in such a vivid way with Allipaloosa.

    You will be finding red dust in your shoes and pockets for some time to come, and it will remember you carry the desert with you wherever you are.

    ReplyDelete