Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Zion National Park

Yesterday I left the hubbub of Las Vegas for the quiet pace of Zion National Park. It was a much longer drive than expected due to construction leading to a traffic jam. It took 90 minutes to get out of Vegas but I had music and I was officially on vacation so in the big picture not a big deal.

I arrived at Zion after 6pm. Thankfully I was able to reserve a campsite for last night. Once at the campsite I discovered I had an electric hookup which was helpful to have the portable heater running last night. It was in the low thirties last night Once settled I wrote in my journal and watched the sunset over The Watchman.

I'm not sure I have the words to describe the beauty. It got cold quickly after sunset and I called it an early night.

This morning I watched the sunrise, packed up and drove to the other campground which was first come first served. My original plan was to only spend one night in Zion and move on to Bryce for one night and then spend two nights in Capitol Reef. I realized that it was a tight schedule and I would rather explore Zion and Bryce and will skip Capitol Reef this time so but I did not have a reserved campsite for tonight. Today is beautiful, sunny and warm. I am hoping it will not be as cold as last night since I do not have any power.

Once I got my bearings I took the shuttle through the park and walked the riverside trail. I wanted a short warmup trail for today and it was about a 2 mile walk. Walking along the river gave me a sense of peace even with all the people around

It is a bit daunting camping and hiking by yourself. I realized in the past I always let others decide the hiking routes and pretty much let them lead the way. It is kind of nice making all the decisions. I like being the leader in my life these days.

As I sit here in the canyon I realize that this is the ultimate vacation. Hard to believe that Allipalooza is actually happening. A nap is on tap for the afternoon and then a trip into the little town of Springdale for some exploring and maybe some grub. Onto Bryce Canyon National Park tomorrow. I will be turning off the phone to conserve power and to bask in the beauty of the park. Til tomorrow night

Peace, love, and hope.

All

2 comments:

  1. You hit the nail on the head. We have the be the leader in our lives don't we.

    So glad that you are enjoying the natural beauty of the desert.

    ReplyDelete